Statistics published by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service reveal that 283,680 people have applied from within the UK, compared with 306,908 at the same point last year. This is a fall of 7.6%. The number of applicants overall has fallen by 6.4%. Applications from within the EU, but outside the UK, are down 10.7%. The number of applicants from outside the EU has risen by 13.3%.
Applications are down across most subject areas, particularly:
- Architecture – a fall of 17%
- Technologies – a fall of 16.5%
- Creative arts & design – a fall of 14.6%
- Social studies – a fall of 12%
- European languages – a fall of 11.5%
For more information and analysis go to: